Is your company LinkedIn or LinkedOUT?

As a PR professional I always argue that you should update your online outlets with good written content. I believe that social media management coupled with interesting and original communications helps technical companies rank higher in online searches. 

In fact, here at Stone Junction we are so SEO oriented that if I am suddenly awoken from my slumber in the middle of the night, I start shouting things like: hash tag, alt attribute, permalink, Panda! Oh, thank God that last one was just a cuddly toy and not another Google search results algorithm! Phew!

In all seriousness though, this blog post from Chris Rand at BMON made me realise that I am one of those who doesn't practice what they preach. Not often enough, anyway. I don't take a lot of time updating my Experience section or letting my connections know what I've been up to.

And this is wrong. Firstly, it is important to have a look at your company’s LinkedIn profile as a visitor and not as admin. This way you will be able to spot any missing information or improvements that you could make in order to optimise the page a bit more.

Furthermore, posting updates and tweaking your company page more often will prove to Google and your business connections that there is a life on your planet. This will be reflected in the increased number of visitors and interest your page will receive, not to mention the SEO benefits that come with it.

Lastly, as Chris rightly points out, the much dreaded photo should always be present and correct. For businesses, a good resolution logo would be ideal, whereas for individuals, a recent and professional looking portrait is always required (which means I should probably change my black and white fluffy hair photo I've had on my profile for the last six years…hmmm).

For a good example of what you should do with your LinkedIn page, have a look here.

Subscribe to Insights into PR and online marketing


Bookmark and Share

Oana Baetica - Technical PR consultant

Stone Junction is a cool technical PR agency based in Stafford. We work for all sorts of businesses, with a particular focus on technology, technical and engineering companies. We like being sent cake and biscuits by clients, journalists and prospects.

No comments: