Are you my friend on Facebook? No, I'm your friend in real life...

Technical PR, Engineering PR, Industrial PR, Manufacturing PRSo opined a comedian on the ill advised News Knight with Trevor Macdonald. He has a point. I wonder about the value of such networks on occasion, despite being a regular and avid user of Facebook, the procrastination tool ├╝ber alles, and LinkedIn, the identity theft staple.

I can't claim to have generated any genuine business out of either, although I have got in touch with lots of lost colleagues and friends. Indeed, this very morning I accepted an invitation from a former colleague. When we worked together, very briefly, we didn't really have much to do with each other. However, he was a nice guy and, quite frankly, a bit of a genius; so I accepted the invitation. However, the chances are it will remain just that – a link on a Web site. I doubt if we will actually get in touch again, although I would be happy to do so.

However, my next e-conquest will be Trevor Macdonald, I think. Now there's someone worth being friends with on Facebook. Is there a space for a Knighthood on your Facebook profile though?

Richard Stone

Stone Junction is a cool technical PR agency based in Stafford. We work for all sorts of businesses, with a particular focus on technology, technical and engineering companies. We like being sent cake and biscuits by clients, journalists and prospects.

No comments: